Tuesday, May 21, 2013

HONEY RED by Liz Crowe - Review

Source: Provided by publisher for honest review.

Honey Red

by 

Two men suffering from visible and invisible wounds meet by chance circumstance.

Nick Traynor and Ian Donovan spend a lot of time and effort keeping it very hot, only physical, and purely superficial. But when their resolve starts to slip, a woman is tossed into their midst.

Hannah Williams wants nothing more than to do her job until something better comes along, but is forced to own up to her visceral reaction to Ian, her new boss, and later to Nick, his sometimes lover.

Lust has a funny way of turning into companionship, and eventually evolving into a deeper connection. Faced with the internal and external complications of their potential three-way relationship, they begin to heal and trust, to consider that it might work. Then life tosses them a hardball, forcing them back into their respective corners, where each must choose what is most important.

Three people determined not to commit, thrown together by fate and undeniable attraction--their nights heat up and emotions run high in spite of a claimed mutual desire to "keep it simple." In the process of honest self-discovery, can they learn that while love is never simple, it is definitely worth fighting for?



Review:
Ok, this was a VERY different read for me. I don't typically pick up books that have M/M or three-way relationships. It's just not something that really appeals to me. So naturally when I was first asked if I'd like to review it, I was a little iffy, but since I've absolutely loved everything of Liz's that I've read so far I decided to give a chance. After all, she does write some epic love stories, and I love how she always writes about the craft beer industry. I'm a sucker for a good beer. Needless to say, I already had a long list of reviews scheduled so it took me a little time to get around it Honey Red. 

Even though I had decided to give it a shot, I still wasn't sure I was going to like it so I opened it a little reluctantly. And of course, after all that I fell in love with it, but I was still struggling with whether or not I would review it. But I finally decided that, at the center of everything it's just a love story. Granted an unconventional one, but I fell in love with the characters, and realized that they were struggling with their own story just like I was struggling with my decision to review it, and that's when I realized that yes, of course I would review it because it's a good book! So duh, that's what it's all about.

Ultimately, this is a story about love and loss and confusion, which are all things that make for a great story, but the way Liz tells the story is what makes it so unbelievably engrossing. The story is told from all 3 POVs, which allows the reader to really understand the motivations and feelings of each character. These are 3 very different people trying to come to terms with a very unconventional way of life and love while each battling their own insecurities and pasts. 

Honey Red is heartwarming and captivating and just an all around good love story. I seriously hope that, if you are like me and a little reluctant, that you will give this book a try. Admittedly, it's not for everyone. I wrote this review with my personal approach to the book for a reason. Many of you out there  are probably wondering why I feel the way I do, and have probably read books with similar relationships; however, I never have. So I wanted to give you all my honest perspective. This was a new adventure for me, and at times I know I blushed furiously. But the beauty of this love story really shined, and I really felt compelled to share it. I hope you all love it as much as I did.

If you've never read anything by Liz Crowe, you can read my reviews of Mutual Release and Paradise Hops

BUY HONEY RED


CONNECT WITH LIZ CROWE

2 comments:

  1. thank you for taking the time to read and review my book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never was big into the M/M books but Liz's writing is so wonderful, that I've never seen it as a problem. As you said, she has you fall in love with the characters. :)

    ReplyDelete