Wednesday, May 29, 2013

REVIEW ~ (ADULT) 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.
Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.
This book is intended for mature audiences

I battled back and forth whether I should post a review for this book, or not. My original thoughts were to just read it (after contemplating even that) and not post a review at all... but then unexpectedly, overall, I ended up in the hype and liking this book once I got past some issues. Therefore, this reinforces my preference in blogging. If I like a book, then it deserves to be reviewed.

While I found the narration of this story needed various amounts of improvement (I seriously wanted to puke every time she referenced medulla oblongata and the inner goddess thing) and the repetition (I admit I skimmed), the dialogue and characters captured me, along with some of the wit and the premise behind the story. And the sex, of course. Speaking of, there was an ENORMOUS amount of sex. I mean, I didn't know it was physically possible to perform so much sex in one day. And the type of sex. DARK, dirty sex. I've never read of BDSM and would you believe that it completely appalled me? It did. But at the same time, I was so interested in it. Erm, in the story, that is. And you don't need no Kleenex. You need multiple pair of underwear on hand. Yes, I did just say that.

This was a very erotic and sadistic read. It is not for everyone. In your eyes, you may think of BDSM as a form of sexual abuse... but, once I read, I learned that it is consented. With that said, the sexual actions between the characters involved were welcomed- although some not enjoyed. So, if you think you wouldn't be able to handle that, then I suggest you not read this.

I find that both characters are seriously fucked up in their own way, but they each give the other what they need. Ana gives Christian hope and affection and he gives her confidence.... and pain, ouch! Can they even build a relationship based on sex and exploration? Based on their past is neither of them equipped to do so? Can Ana keep her innocence? Can Christian commit?

While Christian Grey is '50 shades of fucked up,' he is so alluring and addictive. While I could NEVER imagine myself with someone like him, I CAN'T quit reading about him. I hate him for what he does to Ana, but I want him with her <-- now I'm fucked up.

Yeah, so, I'm going purchase the next book in this series 50 Shades Darker, today.

'Laters, baby.'

Buy 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James through Barnes & Noble, Amazon

KIMBERLY

No comments:

Post a Comment