Monday, September 12, 2011

REVIEW - Forever by Maggie Stiefvater


You can view the synopsis for Forever by Maggie Stiefvater (via Goodreads) by clicking on the title.

Sigh…. This was a toughie for me to review.
I loved Shiver and Linger. I read them back to back and they were my first books to read solely about werewolves and I loved escaping into Maggie’s world. After reading Linger and the cliffhanger it ended with, I quickly anticipated Forever, knowing it was the last book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. I couldn’t wait to see how Sam and Grace handled their reversed roles and to find out if they lived happily ever after. They exchanged a deep, true love and I longed for them to be together.
When I finally got the book in my hands, I cracked that baby open with delight to put my anticipation at rest. It kills me to say this, but in my opinion, it was unexpectedly a bit lurking. I feel that Maggie was so talented in her storylines for the first two books that this one slightly lacked. With that said, it doesn’t mean that I didn’t like Forever, I really did. I was just expecting to love it. As I was reading, I contemplated back and forth between a 3 or 4 star rating.
Forever was told in four point of views: The main characters Sam and Grace, and the secondary characters, Cole and Isabel. The author did a fantastic job with the character POVs and with the flow of the story.
I have to give props to Cole St. Clair because he really shined in Forever. He ended up becoming my favorite character in the final book and I did shed a few tears over him. I enjoyed how Maggie brought out his character in this book. However, I wish there was a better closure for he and Isabel.
Sam had such a rough life and I adore how Grace brought out the nurturing side of him in all three books.
Towards the ending of the book, I was on the verge of giving it a 4 star rating. And then, I read the end. It tortured me and didn’t give me closure on Grace, specifically. Cliffhanger much? It was for me. And it left me with giving it a 3.5 star rating.
I know Forever was the final book in the trilogy, but I’d really like to see Maggie Stiefvater do an anthology of some sort to offer her readers with a better conclusion to Forever.

Kimberly

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series yet but almost everyone I know who has agrees with you. I hate when a series doesn't give closure. you've spent so much time investing in everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enough said - if you enjoyed the Twilight saga, this trilogy is even better and stronger. I loved the characters!
    I like this site :: Kent Fleet Service Premier Automotive

    ReplyDelete