Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Note on September 11th



I'll never forget that day. It was my first time to view a heart catheterization. I was a coordinator for the Cardiovascular Diagnostics Laboratory. I managed the department office and was being cross-trained to work in the lab when staff was low in helping them prepare for cases.



When the case was over, I helped transport the patient to recovery. That's when a fellow employee who was a nurse and I saw the look of horror on the faces in the recovery unit. We were quickly informed of the tragic events and lives viciously taken, while we were saving a life.



I was in denial and it wasn't until I got home and viewed the news (for weeks) that I broke down and was absolutely terrified. It was the most catastrophic event I'd ever had to deal with and I pray to God every night that terrorism will never be inflicted upon anyone or any land ever again.



My heart goes to the families and friends of the victims whose lives were lost or affected. My gratitude goes to the soldiers who've risked their lives and/or lost their lives (and still are) to fight for our freedom, our protection, our country. My apologies, because of others actions, goes to the innocents who were judged because of their middle eastern ethnicity. Hate doesn't solve anything and certainly doesn't change anything.

-Kimberly



Like Kimberly, I clearly remember September 11th, 2001. I was a sophomore in high school, and I was enrolled in an early class to I always began my school day at 7 am. After class that morning I went to my history/home room. As I walked into the class and looked up at the TV monitor, I was shocked. On the screen, smoke billowed from the Twin Towers and I just stood there. Another student then filled me in on what was happening.



I remember my first thought was "Oh my God!" The second was, "Where is my dad today?" He travelled fairly often for work, and suddenly I couldn't remember if he was on a plane that day. I called my mother from class that very minute, not caring at all about the school's "no cell phones" policy. It turned out that he wasn't, and I thanked God so much for that. I later found out that my cousin living in Manhattan had managed to contact the family and was ok.



Every monitor in the school remained on the rest of the day, and we all watched everything unfold together. It was heartbreaking, terrifying, and devastating. And continued to be for a very long time. We had a memorial service at my church that evening and the emotion was intense.



Over the past 10 years I've watched so many things change because of that one day. And today, as we remember those who were lost, those who were brave enough to risk everything to rescue people they didn't know, those who gave the ultimate sacrifice without being asked, I'd like to say "Thank You." And "Thank you" to all the service men and women who have fought and died for our country and our protection. The rest of us will never truly understand your sacrifice and dedication, but "Thank you." We will never forget.

In honor of all of the above, some friends and I took an 11 mile bike ride on Saturday. I encourage you all to participate in some physical activity this weekend in their honor as well.

-Britney

1 comment:

  1. And I'd like to add to this post-- I can't believe I failed to mention this... my appreciation to the heros <---- firefighters, police officers, doctors, nurses, EMT's, bystanders, etc... who risked and/or lost their lives as our solidiers did and still do to rescue those trapped and/or hurt. Thank you. Thank you so very, very much.

    ReplyDelete