Friday, August 23, 2013

REVIEW ~ The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 
Interesting competition we have here, in The Selection by Kiera Cass.

People were classified/ranked. America was invited to the Selection. Let's slightly compare it to Bachelorette meets Cinderella's prince match game. 

America had no desire to be classified as first or be of elite status. It was for Compensation. It was because she loved her family. It was for their survival.
 
But there was Aspen. The boy she was passionate about. The boy who was not the prince. The boy who wanted the best for her and do whatever he had to do. For her. But dude... Really?! You never let the girl go, doofus! <--- sorry I was giving Aspen a reality check *flicks his ear*  I mean, America wouldn't get chosen, right? The crave Aspen had to provide for her was sweet. The way she loved him for him, and nothing else had me an awe.

Shock can provoke fear. Events were unexpected, some painful, some glorious. The choices America had to make suffocated me. She could break the rules, go back to her lower status. But, do new feelings surface? Do old feelings die?

I found America to be sarcastic (in a non condescending way), brave and adapt well to the attention. I felt homesick for her. She was a bit intimidated at all of the lush. I loved that she remained faithful to her true self; kind and caring. The rules and most of the girls (hello cattiness!) were daunting, so I'd be biting my nails, and just for that I'd liable get kicked out! And hol-eeE cow--- Mer's got a game of her own! 

I was glad America remained hopeful, although she had a compelling prince at her side, which made it tough. Prince Maxon wasn't what America had imagined. He was guarded, yet funny, compassionate and admirable.  Charming thing, he was. I really enjoyed his composure and he was so genuine I could pinch his cheeks... Or his ass. 

America and Maxon's interaction was a joy. She was very supportive and he receptive. The way he focused on her gave me a drunken crush.

WWAC: Who will America Choose?  I'll find out hopefully when I read the next installment, The Elite.

Dystopias are always an exciting read for me. Makes me wonder if our country is really headed in that direction.
 
I really enjoyed Kiera Cass' writing. It was full of wit and desire. She's quite the adorable one and full of personality as well, which makes me admire her work even more (I'd met her at RT2013 when I had purchased The Selection.)
 
Find The Selection by Kiera Cass on Goodreads
 
Purchase The Selection by Kiera Cass at B&N, Amazon, Book Depository
 
Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment