Monday, February 13, 2012

REVIEW: THE GODDESS TEST by Aimee Carter



Author: Aimee Carter
Format: Paperback
Length: 304 pages
Publisher: HalrequinTEEN; Original edition (April 19th 2011)
Reading level: Ages 14 and up

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

Review:

With a refreshing, new spin on the Greek myth of Persephone, The Goddess Test kept me guessing until the very end. And with each new twist I was sucked deeper and deeper in to the mystery of Eden Manor. Kate’s determination and dedication to her friends, family, and even Henry blew me away. Her actions, decisions, and feelings are all so real and vivid. 

I never wanted to put this book down because I never know what was going to happen. As soon as I thought I had something figured out the next page changed my mind. I could feel Kate’s distress, confusion, desire, and anger about everything happening to and around her.  

I love mythology and this story is incredibly well developed and rooted in the original myth. However, this is the first interpretation that made me feel like I hadn’t already read another version of it or that I knew what was going to happen. It’s not a retelling of the myth at all, and while all the gods are involved, you won’t know who is who until the very end. 

This book was a wonderful break from all the dystopian, angels, and supernatural creatures. Not that I don’t love those, because let’s face it, we all know I totally do! But The Goddess Test was a breath of fresh air that I desperately needed, and I have no doubt that Goddess Interrupted (book 2) will be just at thrilling.




Buy the book:

Coming March 1st, 2012

Coming March 27th, 2012

Find the author:

No comments:

Post a Comment