Monday, January 16, 2012

REVIEW: PURPOSE (SOUL SAVERS #2) by Kristie Cook


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Lost in despair, Alexis teeters on the edge of an abyss, her lifeline of hope fraying into a thin thread. If it snaps, she'll plunge into complete darkness. With the help of her son and her writing, she's been able to hold on. Until now. Erratic impulses, disturbing delusions and her own demonic blood threaten her sanity. When she's forced to choose between hanging onto hope or letting go to serve her Amadis purposes, she faces a decision with inconceivable sacrifices.

Alexis runs to the one place she thinks will provide answers, only to find herself at the center of another battle of good versus evil, not only with the Daemoni, not only within herself; but also against the worst opponent imaginable. But even if she wins, what will she lose?


Review:
First, I would like to thank Kristie for providing the e-book copy of PURPOSE for this honest review. I really enjoyed PROMISE, but PURPOSE blew me away. The writing is more developed and eloquent and I can see the author's development within the story.
As PURPOSE begins, 7 years have passed since the end of PROMISE, and the whole tone of the book is different. It's darker. Alexis is still depressed, which if you ask me is totally to be expected. To me, this made her more human. She has always wanted to be more "normal" and, in a way, her depression and reaction to the events at the end of PROMISE do that. It's a real struggle to heal from that kind of loss, especially when you don't know what actually happened. Not to mention, the kind of connection that exists between Tristan and Alexis is, well, intense and far deeper than anything imaginable to me. But Kristie has developed and explored this connection so well that I can imagine what that connect, and subsequent loss, could feel like and fully believe Alexis's reaction. And I'm much more impressed with Alexis! Although she struggles desperately with the depression and feels like she's losing herself, she's able to dig deep and find who she calls "Almost Alexis" for her son, which I find a strength in and of itself. While she is falling apart and wants to lose herself she fights. But not only for Dorian, but for Tristan as well. Which is what is at her core, Alexis is a fighter for those she loves most, THE PROTECTOR as Tristan has called her. I think Kristie did an amazing job showing Alexis's feelings. Her pain is so raw and real that, as the reader, you can feel it. I wanted to cry and scream with her.
What I like most about PURPOSE though, is that a lot of the questions from book 1 are answered. Yippee! My biggest question from PROMISE, although it probably was semi irrelevant to most, was who attacked her and who protected her at the very beginning. And we learn the answer! Also, Alexis's history, painful truths, choices between good and evil, and Alexis's purpose are revealed.
PURPOSE is my favorite in the SOUL SAVERS series so far. I look forward to the events to come in DEVOTION, and more of Alexis and Tristan's story.

Buy Purpose (#2)

eBooks

Print Books


No comments:

Post a Comment