Thursday, February 7, 2013

REVIEW~ What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

"Courtesy of watching his mom’s relationships, Sebastian Hawkins knows what girls need to do to get a guy. He has what he considers a PHD in hooking up. When he needs extra cash for a car, Sebastian starts up an online venture as The Hook-up Doctor, to anonymously help girls land the guy of their dreams. Of course, his services don’t offer a happily-ever-after guarantee. He’s seen firsthand getting together never means staying together.

And then he falls in love…

With the last girl he would expect…

Totally not in his game plan.

Suddenly, Sebastian finds himself muddled in the game he’s always prided himself on. He can’t even pick up girls at parties anymore! Why would anyone want to be in love when it turns you into a stuttering, screwed-up, mess with really lame stalker tendencies? Stalking? Totally not his gig.

But the Hook-up Doctor won’t let himself go down easily. He’s always known how to give a girl what she wants and now it’s time to figure out what a boy wants… and he definitely plans on getting it."
 


The author of What A Boy Wants, Nyrae Dawn had me in an instant just by reading her dedication. Then, I flipped to the first page, and then the next... and before I knew it, I was finished. And I loved it. It's one of those books that just makes you feel good with a little bit of intensity.

 
Sebastion had himself a little side job going. A hook up doctor (not to be confused with relationship)--- Yeah baby, Dr. Getchyo Groovon in da hizzay!!


"Getting a guy isn't the same thing as keeping him. I can always promise a hook-up, but I can't control if it lasts or not." -Sebastian Hawkins


He had a challengeable client on his hands. She called him out and wanted to make sure he had the goods to back up his $100 advice. She also ended up bringing his worst fear out. Question is- Does he follow his own advice? Or did it divert him into the suburb of Dumb, Boyland? Not only that, but could it be what it seemed?


Hookup Doctor Advice, take 1: "Girls need to decide who they are: either the strong, confident chick who puts us on our ass and still makes us want more, or the shy girl next door who we want to either corrupt or bring home to our parents."


Holy sack monster!!! That's exactly how a guy thinks, lol!! I gotta hand it to him, Sebastian had some pretty solid advice and his clients got a personalized plan of action! I'm telling you, this boy knew his stuff.
 

"Getting a guy isn't the same thing as keeping him. I can always promise a hook-up, but I can't control if it lasts or not."


Sebastian was sarcastic and arrogant, funny and confused, and he loved his momma. He's all compassionate and sprinkled with powdered sugar to make him sweet as a red velvet cupcake. Can a boy be all of that at the same time? Yes!! He was proof! He had someone that held his heart, but he denied it cause (insert quote marks) he didn't do relationships (exit quote marks). Hmmmm? Defense mechanism? He'd dig himself in little holes with his words and mannerisms and play mind games. Then, it was both funny and sad to read him dig his way out. His dainty gal pal, Woodstock (Aspen) sees right thru his arrogance. And he sees her. She's so adorable, I wanna slip her in my purse and carry her around.


"I think I'm addicted to you. Now that I know I can kiss you and touch you, I don't want to stop." -Sebastian Hawkins *melts*


Everything went good, then the wincing began. And some tears fell- Oh man. *clutches chest*


We got to see Bastian take a path down self discovery. He had a few diversions and break downs, but with a thinking cap and the beats of his heart, hopefully it led him in the right direction. Thing is, he may be too late for his destination. You'll have to see for yourself.

 
I really enjoyed getting to know the deep side of Sebastian and the relationships he had with his friends. It left me with adoration because I was in a group in high school very similar to theirs, and I miss my boys!!


This was a darling, simple YA lit read and the author stays on track throughout the story. Reading boy POVs are always a plus for me as well, especially when they are broken and evolve into this beautiful being. I look forward to reading more of Nyrae's books, both YA and NA.
 

And P.S.- What A Boy Needs is out now!! I can't wait to read this one!!
 

Links to purchase/review What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn
 
Barnes & Noble- Ebook $1.99 (THAT IS A STEAL FOR THIS BOOK!!)
Amazon- Paperback $9.99
 

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment