Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Author Interview: Liz Botts - IN THE SPOTLIGHT

Please welcome Liz Bottz, author of IN THE SPOTLIGHT to the blog today!

Hi Liz, and welcome to Living Fictitiously! We are so happy to have you. To start off, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m married to a great guy who supports all of my craziness and is willing to talk for hours about all of my characters. We have three kids (two boys and a girl.) I homeschool them. We spend as much time outside as possible.

When I’m not doing family stuff or writing I like to read (somewhat obsessively), and I always have at least three books stashed in different parts of the house (bedroom, living room, and purse.) I like to cook and bake. Trying new recipes is always fun. I also like to sew.

On writing and reading…

How many books have you written?

Five. Currently I have a novel and two novellas published through Astraea Press. I have two more novels scheduled for release this year.

What are your favorite kinds of scenes to write (humorous, action-packed, romantic, etc) and why?

This is a toss-up between humorous and romantic. Ideally the two of them are together.

What part of writing do you find most difficult?

I think finding the time every day to put words down.

Where and in what type of setting do you like to write?

My ideal setting is somewhere quiet where I can listen to classical music.

What writer, book or series has been a big inspiration to you and your writing?

I really admire Rosemary Clement-Moore. She wrote some fabulously funny YA paranormal books. Her stories make me laugh out loud.

What was the last book you read that you really fell in love with or that blew your mind?

I just finished The Katerina Trilogy V. 1: The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges. It’s a fantastic paranormal story with lovely romantic elements.

What are you reading right now and what book(s) have you got your eye on lately but haven’t got to read yet?

Currently I’m reading Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors. I really need to finish the Hunger Games trilogy. There are a few memoirs that I’m hoping to get around to soon as well. Plus I have a huge folder of ebooks just waiting to be started.

Any advice for beginner writers out there?

Check your ego at the door. Listen to all the advice you get, especially in rejection letters. And the always clichéd, write every day.



On IN THE SPOTLIGHT…

Can you tell us a bit about IN THE SPOTLIGHT?

In the Spotlight is basically a fun, sweet story about finding your path in life, and falling in love in the process. Here’s a synopsis:

When sixteen year old Hannah Brewster lands the lead in the school musical she hopes it will be the perfect chance to get the attention of her family and her long time crush, Kyle. The only problem is that school super star, Josh Larson, has been cast opposite her, and he seems to like her as more than just a cast mate.

As Hannah and Josh grow closer, things between Hannah and Kyle get complicated. When Hannah realizes that Kyle is not who she thought he was, she also realizes that she just might like Josh as more than just a friend.

Will Hannah and Josh be able to overcome their obstacles and admit their feelings before the musical ends?

What was the inspiration behind IN THE SPOTLIGHT and the characters?

When I was writing In the Spotlight, I worked at a church running the youth group. Most of the kids were involved in theater. Their constant chattering about rehearsals and shows, combined with my experience from high school theater became the basis for In the Spotlight. The characters were one hundred percent their own.

Did you have a favorite character while you were writing?

I loved writing the main character, Hannah, but her grandma was the most fun of all. I mean, who wouldn’t love writing a strip club frequenting, cougar grandmother.

The big question Kim and I always have to know…is there a cute/dangerous/mysterious boy?

There is definitely a cute boy. Josh is 100% swoon-worthy.

Just for fun….

Can you give us 4 random facts about yourself?

1.       One summer I went to a camp in Ohio’s Amish country. There was no running water or electricity. We had to do farm chores for fun.

2.      I love goat cheese. A lot.

3.      My favorite place to vacation is South Dakota.

4.      My favorite kid show is Curious George.

Dogs or cats?
Tough one, but if I have to choose I’d say cats.

Chocolate or vanilla?
Vanilla.

Sugar or salt?
Sugar.

Coffee or tea?
Coffee.

Pink or blue?
Pink.

If you could be asked any question, what would that be? What would your answer be?

If you could go anywhere where would you go right at this moment?

I would go to the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Thanks so much for being here today Liz!
Find Liz online:
BLOG
Website: www.lizbotts.com
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/search?q=liz+botts&group_id=&search_type=books
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/liz_botts_books
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/liz_botts/

Buy IN THE SPOTLIGHT:
Astraea Press
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

1 comment: