Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Author Interview: S.R. Johannes

Please welcome author S.R. Johannes to the blog today. She has graciously given her time to tell us a little about herself and her debut novel UNTRACEABLE, being released TODAY! I'm so excited to share this interview with all of you, and I'm super excited about UNTRACEABLE!

Britney: To start off, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Shelli: I have an MBA in marketing and worked in corporate America for over 15 years doing marketing, communication, and training. I walked off the job in 2006 and have been doing freelance marketing ever since. I own my own marketing company and have worked with Spanx and Goody Hair. I have a hubby from England, 2 kids and a Goldendoodle. I’m actually very boring, which is probably why I write thrillers. J I love being at home, doing yoga, reading and playing with my kids. That’s my everyday.
B: Can you tell us a little bit about Untraceable and what it’s about for those out there who haven’t heard of it yet?
S: Grace grew up in the woods. When her forest ranger dad disappears on patrol, she fights town authorities, tribal officials, & nature to prove he’s alive. Torn between a hot boy and cute ex, she heads into the wilderness to find her dad. Soon, Grace is caught in a web of conspiracy, deception, and murder. It will take more than a compass and motorcycle for this tough heroine to save all she loves.
B: What 5 words would you use to describe Grace?
S: Dependable, funny, intense, outdoorsy, caring, stubborn
B: Can you tell us a little bit about these two hot boys? We LOVE hot boys. J
S: Mo is from the UK and loves the woods as much as Grace.  He is very straightforward and doesn’t play games or hard to get. If he feels something he puts it out there. So much that it shocks Grace at times. He loves geology (kinda dorky right?) and astronomy. He’s very family oriented – like Grace. He reminds me of Brodie Jenner.
Wyn is a long time friend. He’ s silly and banters with Grace. That is his way of showing her he still cares about her. He’s not as straightforward as Mo is. He’s leaner but tries to overcompensate by pretending he’s tough. He’s more of a city boy at heart and not that into nature even though he lives in a mountain town. He reminds me of Shia Lebeouf in Transformers.
B: What are your favorite kinds of scenes to write (humorous, action-packed, romantic, etc.) and why?
S: The action scenes are fun. They play out in my head like a movie so I can see each frame. Sometimes I can’t write fast enough and I love that feeling. Course the kissing scenes are fun too J And I don’t try to write humor – if a line is funny – it wasn’t thought out. IT was probably a snarky comment that I would say in a situation.
B: What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
S: I love to write. Any free time I have is doing that. But I love playing with my kids and doing yoga. Other than reading and movies – I’m boring.
B: Where and in what type of setting do you like to write?
S: I have to write in my office. I can’t write at bookstores b/c I start shopping. And I can’t write in coffee shops b/c I get too jacked up on coffee and end up eating.
B: What are the first three YA books that come to mind when you think of Untraceable?
S: Hatchet by Gary Paulson; Kiss the Girls by James Patterson; Gone Wild by James Hall
3 of my top books and the influence for Untraceable.
B: What writer, book, or series has been a big inspiration to you and your writing?
S: James Patterson (his adult stuff) has been my biggest influence. It’s all I read when I was in high school – I used to sneak his books from my mom. I’d love to be the contemporary thriller author of the YA genre like he is in his adult work. I’ve studied his work and writing. There is a reason people love his books. He keeps the tension. I also love James Hall b/c he always has issues in his book that aren’t preachy but serve to educate while still being fun to read.
B: What was the last book you read that you really fell in love with or that blew your mind?
S: Carrie Ryan’s Forest of Hands and Teeth series. I love it. The setting and the tension is amazon. But more – she has such a way with words and voice.
I also loved The Sky is Everywhere. The way the author interjects humor with tragedy is beautiful.
B: What are you reading right now and what book(s) have you had your eye on lately but haven’t gotten to read yet?
S: Impossible to answer. I’m looking forward to reading Body Finder 3 by Kimberly Derting (The Last Echo) but I love reading all books and have a stack I look forward to reading.
B: If you could be asked any question, what would that be? What would your answer be?
S: Wow! Intense stuff. I guess I would love it if someday someone asked me: Have you found your purpose? And I answered: yes.
******
Thanks so much for joining us today Shelli! Untraceable is a fabulous book I would recommend to anyone! Check out my review HERE..
Buy the paperback
Buy a Kindle copy

Connect with the author:


No comments:

Post a Comment