Wednesday, October 23, 2013

REVIEW ~ Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

It starts off simply.

Draw a circle... place a dead leaf in the center... sprinkle some salt... recite a little Latin... add a drop of blood...

Maybe that last part isn’t exactly simple. Yet somehow it feels right to Silla Kennicott. And nothing in her life has felt remotely right since her parents’ horrific deaths. She’s willing to do anything to uncover the truth about her family—even try a few spells from the mysterious book that arrived on her doorstep ... and spill some blood.

The book isn’t the only recent arrival in Silla’s life. There’s Nick Pardee, the new guy next door who may have seen Silla casting a spell. She’s not sure what he saw and is afraid to find out. But as they spend more time together, Silla realizes this may not be Nick’s first encounter with Blood Magic. Brought together by a combination of fate and chemistry, Silla and Nick can’t deny their attraction. And they can’t ignore the dark presence lurking nearby—waiting to reclaim the book and all its power.


Dark, morbid, frightful and powerful read. Beautiful cover.

Blood serves the purpose of life. Blood resurrects. Blood gives you power.

Tessa Gratton transposed me to Silla and Nicholas. I was no longer Kimberly as I read Blood Magic. I was the characters living in the story. I grasped what they felt. I performed what they did. I experienced their senses- their sight, their pain, their fear. This book was magic. And I'm not crazy. I commend you Miss Gratton for this intriguing, eerie read. While I've enjoyed reading many books, it's been a while since an author captivated me so much that I actually felt I was living as the characters.

Silla and Nicholas shared a knowledge of bewitchment, something that had been hidden in their families for generations; one inquisitive of the magic, the other knowledgeable and fearful of it. Perhaps their binded blood could save them?

Myself as Silla cringed and whimpered at what she'd viewed- hiding behind masks at what she still sees. A traumatic memory. Until she received the book that led her to the truth. But can she trust the magic? She must know how strong she is. It was a journey for her to discover it and herself.

Silla and Nick were drawn to each other. She could be herself and trusted him enough to know he wouldn't think she was crazy. But could he betray her? Was their relationship happenstance?

Myself as Nicholas was feared at what he'd experienced as a child. The memories and dreams constantly rummaged his mind. Should he tell Silla the truth? After all, people aren't who they seem.

I simply adored the relationship between Silla and her older brother Reese. He was such a good, young man and loved his sister. I awwwwed every time Reese called Silla by her special nickname. Reese was my favorite character of the book.

If you are looking for a magical read that is very authentic, I strongly recommend Blood Magic, by Tessa Gratton. You'll be captivated throughout this entire book full of history, fate, and magic.

Find Blood Magic, by Tessa Gratton on Goodreads

Purchase Blood Magic, by Tessa Gratton on B&N, Amazon, Book Depository

KIMBERLY

No comments:

Post a Comment