Wednesday, April 4, 2012

REVIEW- The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard

You can view the synopsis for The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard, by clicking the title (via Goodreads). 

As I strolled through Walmart, I remembered I needed to buy a birthday card for a friend. Danger! The books share the same isle. I didn’t need any more books. I already had like a ga-trillion books I needed to read on my shelf. I told myself as I thumbed through the cards, “Don’t turn around. Don’t look at the books. Don’t…” But I ignored my conscience and turned around. The Secret Year, a young adult stand alone novel by Jennifer R. Hubbard was the first to catch my eye with its schmexy black and white cover. I didn’t even read the synopsis in the back- I just placed it in my buggy and hauled booty. I forgot to buy the card.

The Secret Year (Jennifer’s first published novel) was a quick, contemporary read written in Colton’s perspective and was full of secret rendezvous, grief, romance and guilt; a story of how kids living in a small town let their status of rich or poor divide them. After an unexpected encounter, Colt had a relationship with Julia for one year before her death. He wasn’t popular or had the same lavish lifestyle as Julia. Plus, she had a boyfriend. Therefore, their relationship was a secret. During their ‘meetings’ Colt got to know the ‘real’ Julia, beyond the façade she possessed at school. She hooked Colt like a fish and he willingly took the bait.

Colt was a total sex pot and he intrigued me with his snarky but subtle attitude. His feelings of misery, desire, and eagerness were so realistic. Now that Julia was gone, he was empty and all he had were his memories and her words; words that Julia had written in a notebook that her brother, Michael found and later gave to Colt. The notebook held the key to Julia’s true feelings, both about him and her boyfriend.

I enjoyed the back story of each letter Julia had written to Colt and they gave me appreciation for each entry. But it made Colt ache for Julia more than ever. Of what would never be. Can Colt move on with life if he’s still holding on to the past?

I must say that I really resented Julia for insisting that the relationship she had with Colt to remain a secret, although he agreed at times. He didn’t deserve it and he was someone I’d flaunt to the world. Then again, I don’t go for that small town bullshit or let status lead me. *Speaks from experience* So, TSK! TSK! to you Julia.
  
Oh, and if I were to have a brother, I’d want Colton’s. I absolutely adored his brother Tom and the bond they shared. Dude was a total quirkbomb!


The Secret Year, was a fast and enjoyable, but a bit of a sad read. I have a thing for heartbroken boys, especially if the story is in their POV.

Kimberly

2 comments:

  1. I was looking at this one in Walmart Saturday! Boy do we think alike! I can't wait to read it. Great review Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks B! You are more than welcome to borrow. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete