Monday, March 26, 2012

ADULT REVIEW - Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready

You can view the synopsis for Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready by clicking the title (via Goodreads).


As you all know, I’m an avid fan of Jeri Smith-Ready’s work. What? You didn’t know that? ;) I was very excited to read her very first stand alone adult novel, Requiem for the Devil, published in the late 90’s. And oh what a delightful, interesting, dark, sexy, and at times humorous read this was for me!! Even in the beginning of this woman’s writing career she captured my attention from the first chapter. While I read, the perfect visions danced in my mind. 

Jeri had each chapter title written in Latin and it was quite appealing to decipher to English. Plus I received a little biblical education from the Appendix in the back.

Love overcomes beliefs.

I fear the devil. That’s what we’re supposed to do, right? But, hell (ha ha, pun!) Jeri made Lucifer all lust worthy, Mr. Smooth Operator swooney- sheesh! *Imagines him playing piano and violin* I must admit, I practice his explanation of the Holy Trinity quite diligently. “Drinks. Dinner.  And Dancing.” Ha! Perfection. Lucifer and his posse, especially Beezlebub (dude cracked me up!) made me want to take a walk on the wild side!

Lucifer provoked evil and disaster… I mean, he was the devil. He was a magnet for despair and he fed on it; that was until…. Low and behold he met the fabulously mortal Gianna, and then his sexy, vulnerable side was revealed and we learned what he feared too.

Raphael gave the best advice to Lucifer. These words struck me and are so true. “If you follow love, you can’t go wrong, even if It leads to disaster. Trust It.”

I thought it was awesome the devil fell head over heels for Gianna. The desire they shared was so intense and it was quite an experience to follow the journey of their relationship and the hope and sacrifices they made and gave to each other. I really connected with Gianna, as I shared some of her same thoughts on religion and political rights. She was a very strong minded character. In fact, some of her dialogue made me think about things. The chick was a total liberated B.A. and she put the P in punk rocker! Wait til’ you read the lyrics she belted out… Babes in Toyland style.

The ending was a complete shocker to me. I didn’t expect a single word of it. However, there was  peaceful closure to this book.

Requiem for the Devil was a very thought provoking book in my eyes. It’s a recommended read for those who have an open mind with religion and politics. Although it was dark, it was very tastefully written and I found a positive premise to this story full of angst, love, and choices. This was definitely a clamp jaw of a read and being that I shared a good bit of the beliefs in this book; it was a powerful read for me. No matter the genre of Jeri’s work, I will forever escape into it.

Oh, and P.S. – DO NOT call Lucifer, Satan.

I give Requiem for the Devil 5 stars.

Kimberly 

No comments:

Post a Comment