Monday, May 26, 2014

REVIEW ~ 4 Summers by Nyrae Dawn


Charlotte Gates is tired of being Charlie Rae. She loves the lake she was raised on, their rental cabins, and spending her nights under the stars…but inside she yearns for more.

After his freshman year, Nathaniel Chase’s family spends their first summer at The Village. From the beginning Charlotte intrigues him. She’s the girl who always says what’s on her mind, wins at night games, and each time she looks through her telescope, gets lost in the sky.

Over the course of four summers together, Charlotte and Nathaniel become best friends, share firsts, mend broken hearts, protect each other’s secrets, overcome tragedies…fall in love. And say goodbye…

Charlie wants out of The Village. Nate wants her to have her stars. And they dream of being able to do it all together. But life isn’t as easy as their summers.

Each summer is told in alternating points of view between Charlie and Nate. Journey with the pair, and their friends, as they share their story about growing up, discovering who they are, making tough choices, and falling in love again and again.
 
Wow!! The cover art for 4 Summers, by Nyrae Dawn is gorgeous. It's so picturesque. The cover alone made me think that the story held a span of memories.
The premise behind this story was awesome. It covered a duration of 4 summers. It flowed beautifully and was amazing to mentally picture these characters and watch their story, develop. My heart fluttered in awe as I read this gentle, young adult present-day love story.

To be in my teens again, *sighs*. And to have a summer boy, *dreams*. I get all giddy just thinking about Nathanial.

From Chapter Two, I knew that 4 Summers would be my most favorite Nyrae Dawn YA book to date. I lived in this story. I was every word written. I became so emotionally attached to the characters. I shared their pain, their gain, their need, their fear, their confusion, their crave, their loss.
Charlie Ray was a character I instantly connected with and I adored her voice. Her reactions and struggles were right on and I loved how she wanted more; something everyone relates to, but she remained herself through that want. She was a devoted daughter and a loyal friend. She managed that attribute very well.

She thought her destiny was figured out, not to her advantage. But the stars led her in the right direction. It was incredible to witness her breaking free from her insecurities and watch her mature.

The friendship behind this story captivated me as much as the romance. Charlie Rae had two wonderful guys in her life, two wonderful friendships. One just led to “more.” More of what Charlie Ray longed for.
Everyone should have a friend like Alec. He was so upbeat and loyal to Charlie Ray. Well, mostly. They both supported each other and that's what real friends do, No.Matter.What. And Charlie Ray proved that. Alec was very possessive of Charlie Ray and it made me swoon.

I heart me some Alec, but there's that summer boy, Nathanial. Made me all want to be in the middle of a Nathalec Sammich.
Nathanial’s sarcasm made me giggle. His regrets made me sad. He took it slow with Charlie Ray, much respect to him for that. I admired him for the way he made Charlie Ray feel, even though I wanted to break his neck at times—boys! She intrigued him and he charmed her.

Each time Charlie Rae and Nate had to part, it wrenched me, but there's always next summer, right? And that left me with anticipation. And I constantly wondered where in the heck things stood with Alec?? Oh, but we find out!

It is amazing when you have two characters that have so much need for each other. To see them evolve, to see their relationship progressing, it was all so emotional.

Things happened, friendship was tested, secrets were kept, secrets were revealed, sadness incured, happiness was gained.
It was a struggle for all to get their happiness-- and there is a spinoff of 4 Summers (RUSH) that I'm itching to read. I know it will be full of obstacles just as 4 Summers.

Thanks Nyrae for writing such heartwarming stories. Every one of Dawn’s books I’ve read thus far, are inspiring and I have so much admiration for them.

Find 4 Summers on Goodreads.
Purchase 4 Summers at B&N or Amazon.

KIMBERLY

No comments:

Post a Comment