Wednesday, July 24, 2013

REVIEW ~ The Fault in Our Stars by John Green



Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.








The reader is taken on a venture through the eyes of a teen who is battling cancer. With the help of Augustus Waters, Hazel will learn to live and value her life.

While John Green expresses this is a 'work of fiction,' you can't help but live it as you comprehend every word. Call me crazy, but at times it seemed I traveled through a vortex and entered scenes in this book, actually watching the pages unfold. This was definitely not an apathetic read. Battling with my emotional mental state, I had to scold myself that this was in fact, a fictional story.

Hazel was full of sarcasm, despair, and fear...  you don't say?! The girl knew she was sick and possibly dying. She dealt with it. Up front she was, and not this 'poor me, I'm sick person.' She was compared to a pixie cut Natalie Portman, so you can imagine her beauty. While she brought me tears, she also brought me laughter with her witty remarks. She was a brave, brave girl for all that she endured. 

Being a mom, I couldn't help but put myself in the shoes of Hazel's mother. While it was painful, I could see that she was so proud to have such a brave daughter. The strength this woman possessed for her child is phenomenal. Their relationship is one to be cherished.

"Because you're beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence." - Augustus Waters
 
Augustus, battling cancer himself was confident and snarky. Most of all, he was genuine. He had my three favorite qualities in a guy. His words had so much meaning, not alone his existence. And the way he'd say, "Hazel Grace," just had me jiggly wiggly googly goo. The dedicated support he gave Hazel was inspiring and so heart felt. I loved how Augustus guided Hazel to live, to live... Not live to die.

Hazel and Augustus gave each other their own brand of encouragement in this story. It just proves that someone is sent into someone else's life for a reason.

I blinked through waterfalls of tears several times through this book. Tears for Hazel, tears for Augustus, tears for their loved ones. Tears from their support. Tears for myself. Every emotion possible in human nature will be felt. Your whole hearted empathy will go haywire.

I had to laugh a few times throughout reading because there were some philosophical references. I had to triple read in order to decipher the meaning behind them. Errrr, maybe I ended up justifying the terms of the meaning and not the intention behind the said person? I think I just confused myself trying to explain myself?

Thank you, John Green for this beautiful story. Thank you for giving Hazel Grace love. Thank you for letting her love. Thank you for giving her Augustus Waters. Thank you for giving Augustus, Hazel Grace. Thank you for expressing the meaning behind loyalty in The Fault in Our Stars. Okay? Okay.

The ending was a little vague for my taste. It's a different closure, but NOT disappointing. Even though I felt it was vague and not this elaborate ending, it totally made sense to end it that way because it seemed that's what Van Houten would do. I can tell you one thing, The Fault in Our Stars will always be a book that I remember to have had struck me right to the core of my heart.

Find The Fault in Our Stars by John Green on Goodreads

Purchase The Fault in Our Stars by John Green on B&N, Amazon, Book Depository

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment