Wednesday, March 19, 2014

REVIEW ~ ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.



Oh boy, oh boy!! POV in the house!! Smart move Veronica Roth to have had the last installment in the Divergent series, Allegiant, with Tris and Four's personas. I love you even more for this!

So at the end of Insurgent and throughout Allegient (until revealed) I itched to find out what was outside of that damn fence, y'all?? I'm not going to lie... it could, could it be... zombies? One of my first thoughts.

This book had deliciously exasperated me. It was like drinking a red bull. It gave me wings each time I read it, only when I had read all I could for the moment and I finally dwindled down from the events in it, it had left me exhausted. I may had lost a few pounds reading Allegiant, lol. There were a lot of kicking and screaming moments because there were so many directions this story could've taken. At times, it was a little braniac to me, so I had to follow really well to keep from getting lost. My curiosity had been all over the place. With that said, those were good feelings in reading. It had meant Allegiant kept me interested. I was able to read all the hidden truths in this novel unfold. Some were too hard to bare. Surprises. Surprises everywhere!!!! Stay with us Four!! I had to fight myself many times not to give in and just read the ending. Talk about one intense final installment. This book nearly gave me a stroke. Answers were revealed only to conjure up more questions.
Tris and characters were able to truly understand the purpose behind their identity. And questions were left among the characters and readers. Are the factionless going to retaliate against the factions or can they amend? It all bowed down to control and corruption. It always does. Those who knew best, would pledge Allegiant.

So, let me back track to the beginning of Allegiant. I couldn't wait to see Tobias' reaction towards Tris in the beginning of this book from the ending of the last book. Tris disabided Fours requests and constantly had went behind his back- but hey, it wasn't because she'd been malicious. It was for the greater good. But sometimes I realized how much dishonesty was between Tris and Four and it saddened me. But could the revealations of their dishonesty make their love stronger or could it destroy them? While I dearly loved Tris, I wasn't a fan of her condescending side or her 'don't treat me like I'm a 16 y/o.' But, we all have our quirks. Her chivalry was one of her most desirable characteristics. She was so compassionate and determined. Throughout reading this series, I had thought Tobias was my hero. Towards the ending of Allegiant, I quickly realized it was Tris who was my hero. To have seen her discover and appreciate her born clique and herself was humble. It had meant so much that Tris was able to get a little piece of her mother in this book. I see where Tris gets her characteristics from. It proved the old saying, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

I was quite curious to discover the judgement between Tris and her brother Caleb. I was pleased with the outcome even though I'd question myself if I were in her shoes, could I forgive?

I hadn't thought I could love Four anymore than I did. To have read his POV and be in his head was wonder. To have felt his fears was painful. To see how much he cared for Tris was warming. To feel him broken was tragedy. To see him succeed was triumph. To watch him battle his confusion was irritating.

Dauntless, Candor, Erudite, Abnegation, Factionless. They are just labels, just like labeling matter pure or damaged. Some discovered justification . Others, disappointed.

I had mentioned something similar to this in my Insurgent review. It is scary that the government could actually be doing these experiments. So many conspiracies! So much altercation! And, of course, control. Innocent lives lost or memories erased, in the name to create peace?

When I read post apocalyptic or dystopian/utopian, I often wonder how in the world do the authors imagine these stories? They are so dynamic, the Divergent series by Veronica Roth was the most dynamic I've read. Amazement was wrapped in the binds of these pages-- that as scary and foreign as it is, that I'd actually want to experience for myself. Let me bitch slap myself now back to sanity because it is totally insane for me to even be curious about it.

Although this book struck my emotional core and had left me fulfilled, it had also left me empty and full of tears. Not to sound bitter, well, maybe a little bit, I was, and still am an emotional mess and shocked at the decision the author had made in concluding the series. For days it effected me and still does when I think about it, like right now. Ms. Roth was very "dauntless" for ending the Divergent series the way she had. But on the flip side, it had to be done this way. What an unpredictable and sad, yet beautiful closure for Tris and her people. I shouldn't expect anything less of her. To heal and move forward-- and to leave my heart heavy in the process.

Take the quiz and find out what factor you belong in.

Find Allegiant, the final installment in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth on Goodreads

Purchase Allegiant by Veronica Roth on B&N, Amazon, Book Depository

KIMBERLY

No comments:

Post a Comment